Betting on Belgian Division 1A
On this page you get all information about Belgium’s top division, the Jupiler Pro League. We show you how to successfully place bets on games in Belgium and which sports betting tips particularly pay. We take a look at the best Belgian teams and the biggest games and tell you about our betting strategies.
Championship Round · Matchday 5 of 12
Sun, 15 May
Sun, 15 May
|Conference League Play-off Group||P||W||D||L||Goals||D||Points||Last|
The highest Belgian league has always been called Division 1A, but is known also as Jupiler Pro League due to a sponsorship deal. Belgium is a small country with a great football tradition and has produced some of the best players in the world for many decades. Accordingly, there are also some clubs in Division 1A that are regarded as perfect development clubs, which have impressively strong junior departments and good attendance rates.
Top Sportsbooks revied by Overlyzer
The Belgian league has been held as a league of 16 for several years and, after a basic round and a halving of points, is divided into two play-off rounds, where champions, European Cup starters and relegated teams are determined. The league is full of some big clubs that have already attracted international attention and many strong, aspiring smaller clubs, which are now part of the inventory in the upper half of the table.
RSC Anderlecht – Betting on the violet Royals
Betting Tipps Anderlecht
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Heimspiele des Anderlecht ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Auswärtsspiele des Anderlecht ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Anderlecht hat die letzten 9 von 10 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
- In den letzten 18 von 20 Spiele des Anderlecht ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Anderlecht hat die letzten 17 von 19 Heimspiele nicht verloren.
The “R” in RSC Anderlecht stands for Royal. The Violet and Whites from the municipality of Anderlecht within the Belgian capital Brussels can therefore be called “royal” by name. And when it comes to success, both nationally and internationally, they also have this name, because in addition to 34 Belgian championships, Anderlecht also won the European Cup Winners’ Cup twice (1978 final against Austria Vienna) and once the UEFA Cup. Anderlecht are also regulars in the UEFA Champions League and always good for a surprise.
Numerous international stars such as Rob Rensenbrink, Arie Haan, Luc Nilis or Franky Vercauteren have spent most of the time in their careers here. For others, for example Enzo Scifo, Romelu Lukaku, Jan Koller or Vincent Kompany, the RSC Anderlecht was the steppingstone into the big football world. In the meantime, Anderlecht is practically only used as such a steppingstone into the top leagues and so it happens that in the top 10 of the club’s eternal scorers list, not a single player appears who played for the club in the 2000s. The best are now moving abroad sooner. Similar to the Dutch counterpart Ajax, Anderlecht is always heavily dependent on the quality of their youngsters, because the club uses a lot of young players – even at a very young age and as starters or first team regulars. Once a good young team at RSC has matured well, the team sweeps through the Belgian league like a tornado. However, if the time has not yet come for a young Anderlecht team, you can also cover weak seasons in which the side concedes many goals. With pre-game bets on Anderlecht you should watch closely how the starting eleven looks like (also in terms of age) and what the current form of the young players is.
Club Brugge – Betting on the “Club”
Betting Tipps Club Brugge
- Club Brugge hat bisher am wenigsten Gegentore kassiert (1).
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Auswärtsspiele des Club Brugge ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Club Brugge hat die letzten 14 von 15 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
- In den letzten 14 von 15 Spiele hat Club Brugge zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 14 von 15 Spiele des Club Brugge ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 18 von 20 Auswärtsspiele hat Club Brugge zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
In Belgium, Club Brugge is sometimes referred to only as the “Club”. In other countries, the club is mainly known as FC Bruges or FC Brugge. And like the big rival from Anderlecht, the boys from Bruges are “royal”, because they are called Club Brugge Koninklijke Voetbalvereniging, which means “royal football union”. With 15 Belgian championship titles, Bruges is the country’s second most successful club at national level. However, the Blue and Blacks haven’t won European titles, different to RSC Anderlecht. In 1978, they lost the final in the European Cup against Liverpool FC 0-1. The most successful coach in the club’s history was the Austrian Ernst Happel, who led Bruges to three championship titles successively in the 1970s.
Like Anderlecht, Bruges was always a steppingstone for later star players such as Jean-Pierre Papin, Carlos Bacca, Ronny Rosenthal or Ivan Perisic, and moreover was the only major career station for record players Franky van der Elst or Jan Ceulemans. In the last decade in particular, Bruges has made a name for itself with its strong scouting system, especially for players from South America and West Africa. When Bruges plays, a great show is usually the order of the day. The Blue and Blacks mostly act according to the motto “attack is the best defense” and don’t just attack at home. Bruges is always an exciting team, especially for live betting, because it can often put great pressure on the opponent.
Standard Liège – Betting on the Reds
Betting Tipps Standard Liège
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Spiele des Standard Liège ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Auswärtsspiele des Standard Liège ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Standard Liège hat die letzten 8 von 9 Heimspiele nicht gewonnen.
- Standard Liège hat die letzten 8 von 9 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
- In den letzten 8 von 9 Heimspiele hat Standard Liège zumindest ein Tore bekommen.
The Reds from Liège were one of the most formative clubs in Belgium, especially between 1969 and 1983. In total, they became Belgian champions ten times and advanced to the 1982 European Cup Winners’ Cup final, where they lost to Barcelona. Standard celebrated the last championship title in 2009 and since then the team has been weakening, but it still regularly participates in European competitions. Standard Liège brought out especially strong defensive players: Prodigies like Daniel van Buyten, Eric Gerets, Marouane Fellaini or Axel Witsel made the first steps of their careers in Liège. Goalkeeper legend Michel Preud’homme also spent the first ten years of his career at Standard. The team has traditionally focused on defensive stability and an aggressive style of play.
Racing Genk – Betting on “The Genkis”
Betting Tipps Genk
- In den letzten 16 von 17 Heimspiele des Genk ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 18 von 20 Spiele des Genk ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 18 von 20 Auswärtsspiele des Genk ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- Genk hat die letzten 17 von 19 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
- In den letzten 7 von 8 Spiele hat Genk zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
In the past 20 years, the Genkis from Flanders have appeared on the scene of top Belgian football. The Blues and Whites, who developed ingenious soccer players like Kevin de Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois or Divock Origi, stand for a good balance between defensive and attacking football and have had the peculiarity in recent years that they were more dangerous or at least more efficient in away games than in front of a home audience. In recent years, Genk has made the leap into the top of the Belgian league, particularly due to its impressive scouting concept. Before they could develop later top stars like Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Kalidou Koulibaly or Leon Bailey. Genk stands for modern, tactically well-designed football and a high level of discipline.
Belgium is home to extremely fanatical football fans all across the country and so there are numerous duels that heat up the match days. Classic derbies, regional rivalries and historically grown aversions shape the scene in the stadiums almost every week.
Anderlecht – Standard Liège: Betting on the Belgian derby
- 16.01.22 Anderlecht Standard Liège
- 19.09.21 Standard Liège Anderlecht
- 28.02.21 Standard Liège Anderlecht
- 29.11.20 Anderlecht Standard Liège
- 15.12.19 Standard Liège Anderlecht
- 01.09.19 Anderlecht Standard Liège
Betting Tipps Anderlecht - Standard Liège
- Die letzte Begegnung ist Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- Im letzten Duell haben beide Teams getroffen
- Im letzten Spiel ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
The meeting between RSC Anderlecht and Standard Liège is known as the “Derby of Belgium”. This is a traditional duel that was largely balanced in results, albeit with narrow advantages for Anderlecht. On average, 2.4 goals are scored in games played by these two teams, and the biggest statistical peculiarity concerns the home record of RSC Anderlecht: Throughout the history of the derby, the Violets have lost only ten games in the highest Belgian league as it exists today. This is an extraordinary record given the fact, that this count began in 1960. In addition, when browsing through historical matches, there are only a few games in which fewer than four yellow cards were shown and the frequency of red cards is also striking.
Anderlecht – Club Brugge: Betting on the Flemish Derby
- 01.05.22 Anderlecht Club Brugge
- 19.12.21 Club Brugge Anderlecht
- 03.10.21 Anderlecht Club Brugge
- 20.05.21 Anderlecht Club Brugge
- 02.05.21 Club Brugge Anderlecht
- 11.04.21 Anderlecht Club Brugge
- 04.10.20 Club Brugge Anderlecht
- 19.01.20 Anderlecht Club Brugge
Betting Tipps Anderlecht - Club Brugge
- Die letzten 5 Spiele direkten Duelle sind Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- In den letzten 8 von 9 Spiele ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 5 von 6 Spiele haben beide Teams getroffen.
The much bigger rival than Standard Liège for the RSC Anderlecht is Club Brugge. For Flemish-speaking Belgians, this duel is the “real derby”, while French-speaking Belgians prefer the duel between Anderlecht and Standard Liège. Like the Derby of Belgium, the Flemish Derby is a game with clear statistical advantages for home teams, and away wins are extremely rare events when these teams meet. In addition, the game between the two most successful Belgian clubs has an average of slightly more goals on average than the Derby of Belgium, in which the traditionally defensively structured Liège participates.
Club Brugge – Cercle Brugge: Betting on the Bruges derby
- 26.12.21 Cercle Brugge Club Brugge
- 06.08.21 Club Brugge Cercle Brugge
- 28.01.21 Cercle Brugge Club Brugge
- 27.09.20 Club Brugge Cercle Brugge
- 07.03.20 Club Brugge Cercle Brugge
- 14.09.19 Cercle Brugge Club Brugge
Betting Tipps Club Brugge - Cercle Brugge
- Das letzte Spiel ist nicht Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- In den letzten 6 Spiele ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 4 von 5 Spiele haben beide Teams getroffen.
The Bruges derby could be compared to the Barcelona derby: FC Bruges is the much more successful team, while Cercle Bruges is more of a team that is stuck in the relegation battle in the modern era. It is no coincidence that FC Bruges wins almost 60% of all Bruges derbies and scores more than two goals in each game on average. The very first duel between the two Bruges teams took place in either 1899 or 1900 – however, neither the exact date nor the result are known for sure. It is an ancient derby and one of the oldest in mainland Europe. The longest derby series was achieved by FC Bruges in the 1970s until 1981, when they remained without defeat against the city rivals for 17 games. Club Brugge also celebrated the highest derby victory: It was a smooth 10-0 in January 1991.
Club Brugge – KAA Gent: Betting on the Battle of Flanders
- 06.02.22 Club Brugge Gent
- 29.08.21 Gent Club Brugge
- 15.03.21 Gent Club Brugge
- 20.12.20 Club Brugge Gent
- 22.12.19 Gent Club Brugge
- 06.10.19 Club Brugge Gent
Betting Tipps Club Brugge - Gent
- In den letzten 3 Spiele sind mehr als 2 Tore gefallen.
- Bei den letzten zwei Partien haben beide Teams getroffen
- In den letzten 4 Spiele gab es stets einen Sieger.
The duel between Club Brugge and KAA Gent is called the “Battle of Flanders”. Especially in recent years, this derby has become more important because Gent established itself in the Belgian top with good, sustainable work and became Belgian champion for the first time in 2015. Just like Club Brugge, Gent is a team that stands for aggressive attacking football and many goals. In the first and only championship season of the KAA Gent, 16 goals were scored in the four Flanders derbies held. The derby is generally one in which both teams often compete without regard to losses, and on average the duel between Bruges and Gent falls just below three goals per game, which is a fairly high goal rate per game.
Standard Liège – Sporting Charleroi: Betting on the Walloon Derby
- 06.03.22 Sporting Charleroi Standard Liège
- 05.12.21 Standard Liège Sporting Charleroi
- 24.01.21 Standard Liège Sporting Charleroi
- 04.10.20 Sporting Charleroi Standard Liège
- 01.03.20 Sporting Charleroi Standard Liège
- 29.09.19 Standard Liège Sporting Charleroi
Betting Tipps Standard Liège - Sporting Charleroi
- Die letzte Begegnung ist Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- In den letzten 5 von 6 Spiele ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- Bei den letzten 4 von 5 Spiele hat es einen Gewinner gegeben.
If the Reds play against the Zebras, then it is Derby Time in Wallonia! Standard Liège and Charleroi are two of the most traditional clubs in Belgium and the duel between the two Walloon clubs has a David against Goliath character, because Standard Liège is the much more successful team. The defensive strength of Liège also ensures the quite special statistic that Charleroi scores an average of less than 1.00 per game in the Walloon Derby. Charleroi only won five away games in Liège. Nevertheless, the Derby’s goal average is around 2.9 per game, which is more due to some higher wins by Standard Liège in the gray football era. Nowadays, the encounter can be considered a “low scoring derby”.
Belgian champions mostly playing in the Champions League
Due to the largely good results in European competitions, the Belgian league mostly holds a starting place in the Champions League. The struggle for 6th to 10th place regarding the UEFA coefficient is mostly interesting for Belgium, but the most important thing is always the direct comparison with the neighbor from the Netherlands, who mostly get similar results to the Belgians in the UEFA ranking. The Belgians have nothing to do with the UEFA coefficient ranks where the national champions have to go through the qualification stages for UEFA Champions League.
Stadiums in the Belgian division 1A
The average attendance in the Belgian league has been 11,000 spectators per game for years. The two largest stadiums are the 30,000-fan Stade Maurice Dufrasne from Standard Liège, followed by the Jan Breydel stadium in Bruges, which has only a handful of seats less and is home to Club Brugge, and city rival Cercle Brugge. 26,300 spectators fit into the Stade Constant van den Stock of RSC Anderlecht. Three quarters of the league have stadiums with a capacity of 10,000 or more.
The most successful clubs
The question of the record champions in Belgium is very clear and will not change for a long time. There is simply no getting past RSC Anderlecht. In the Belgian league there were a total of 16 teams that could win at least one title and eight that have at least five trophies in their club museum. In addition, there are some small teams in the eternal list of champions who have had great success in the past.
34 RSC Anderlecht
16 Club Brugge
11 Union Saint-Gilloise
10 Standard Liége
7 Beerschot AC
6 Racing Club de Bruxelles
5 Daring Molenbeek
4 Royal Antwerp
3 Cercle Brugge
2 KSK Beveren
1 RWD Molenbeek
Current balance of power
After Anderlecht or Brugge were champions successively for many times, the time of “series champions” should be over in Belgium for now. From 2014 to 2020 there were four different champions in Belgium and not a single title win could be repeated in the subsequent season, which stands in contrast to the time when Anderlecht won four out of five titles. It is also interesting that there are always top scorers who played for small clubs. In the recent past alone, players such as Hamdi Harbaoui from Zulte Waregem, Henry Onyekuru from KAS Eupen or Jeremy Perbet from Sporting Charleroi have become league’s top goal scorers. Harbaoui managed to win the scorer title twice in a row, Perbet years before – once for the RAEC Mons and thus for an even smaller club. Hardly any of the top European leagues has such a power of density as the Belgian one.
The best goal scorers in Division 1A
The undisputed top scorer in league history is Albert de Cleyn, who scored a total of 377 goals for KV Mechelen between 1933 and 1955. Apart from the particularly high number of goals, this value will probably also no longer be obtainable because players with such a goal rate would certainly move to one of the top leagues soon. Second is Joseph Mermans, who scored 339 goals for RSC Anderlecht in the 1940s and 1950s. In recent football, Wesley Sonck, who played for six different clubs, scored the most goals in the Belgian league scoring 131. He is followed by Jelle Vossen and Gert Verheyen.