Betting on La Liga – the Spanish Primera División
On this page you find all information about the Primera División, the top division in Spain. We not only tell you what you should pay attention to when playing La Liga bets, but also present the current form curves of the teams and lots of other useful background information.
|8||Celta de Vigo||38||14||11||13||55:57||-2||53|
|19||Real Valladolid CF||38||5||16||17||34:57||-23||31|
In February 1929, the Spanish Primera División was established. Nowadays the league is called “LaLiga Santander” due to a sponsorship contract, the competition is widely known as “La Liga”. The top division of Spain is one of the best and most popular leagues in the world and lives especially from the eternal struggle between Barcelona and Real Madrid, which host the world famous Clásico. The league has consisted of twenty clubs since 1997 and therefore has 38 games per season, with each team playing twice against all other teams. The league always occupies one of the top 3 places in the UEFA coefficient ranking. Since the turn of the millennium, there have been only four seasons in which either Real Madrid or FC Barcelona have not become Spanish champions.
Real Madrid – Betting on the White Ballet
Betting Tipps Real Madrid
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Heimspiele des Real Madrid ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 16 von 17 Heimspiele hat Real Madrid zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 16 von 18 Auswärtsspiele hat Real Madrid zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 16 von 18 Auswärtsspiele des Real Madrid ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Real Madrid hat die letzten 17 von 20 Heimspiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
The world famous club from Madrid has many names: The “Royals”, the “White Ballet”, in the era of Ronaldo, Zidane or Roberto Carlos also the “Galacticos”. Real Madrid are not only Spanish record champions, but also the only team that has never relegated from La Liga since the league was founded. Real is also Champions League record winner and has produced absolute world-class players over several generations. In the past it was players like Alfredo di Stefano, José Antonio Camacho or Emilio Butragueño, later other prodigies like Raúl González, Iker Casillas or the previously mentioned “Galacticos”.
When the club founded in 1902 from the Spanish capital enters the pitch, spectacles are often provided. The Madrilenians are not known for minimalism and have been a real force, especially in Santiago Bernabeu, for over 100 years. The qualitative superiority of the squad allows the team to strike back quickly even after a conceded goal and so often an open exchange of blows develops with many goals and great entertainment value for the audience. The games of the “Royals” are absolutely suitable for live betting.
FC Barcelona – Betting on the Catalan flagship
Betting Tipps Barcelona
- Die Mannschaft hat bisher mit 85 Toren die meisten Treffer in dieser Saison erzielt.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Spiele hat Barcelona zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Heimspiele hat Barcelona zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Spiele des Barcelona ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Heimspiele des Barcelona ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Barcelona hat die letzten 15 von 16 Auswärtsspiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
The big counterpart and the eternal arch rival of Real Madrid is FC Barcelona. This also has political and cultural reasons, especially since this is the “class struggle” of the proud Catalans with the Spanish capitals. “Barca” has always been one of Europe’s top addresses, and over the decades has brought out players such as Johan Cruyff, who also established the Dutch-influenced Totaal Voetbal in Catalonia, and later top players such as Koeman, Guardiola and Michael Laudrup. The biggest stars only came to light in the last 15 to 20 years: Among others, foreign stars like Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Eto’o or Dani Alves, home-grown talents like Puyol, Piqué, Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets and of course the player who outshone everyone else in recent years: the Argentine world star Lionel Messi.
In Tiki-Taka times, the playing style of the Catalans was said to be “Fútbol y arte”, meaning “football and art”. The possession-oriented game lasted for more than half a decade, after which it was gradually replaced by a more dynamic, more run-intensive approach. Whether with a lot or little possession of the ball, many games of FC Barcelona are good for over bets because the Catalan flagship always creates numerous goal attempts and is extremely dangerous due to its traditionally strong attacking players. Barcelona has been the protagonist of several spectacular moments, also at European level. Similar to Real Madrid, live betting at FC Barcelona is extremely lucrative and exciting at the same time.
Atlético Madrid – Betting on the challenger from the capital
Betting Tipps Atlético Madrid
- Atlético Madrid hat bisher am wenigsten Gegentore kassiert (25).
- In den letzten 10 von 11 Spiele des Atlético Madrid ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 10 von 11 Heimspiele des Atlético Madrid ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 8 von 9 Spiele hat Atlético Madrid zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- In den letzten 16 von 18 Auswärtsspiele des Atlético Madrid ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Atlético Madrid hat die letzten 7 von 8 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
The third most successful club in the recent past and also in the entire league history is Atlético Madrid, who moved to the ultra-modern stadium Wanda Metropolitano a few years ago. Not only national, but also considerable international success made this milestone in the history of the Colchoneros possible. Atlético positioned itself as an antithesis to the two top clubs Real Madrid and Barcelona and is considered a powerful team that comes from a secure, tough defense to find their success. To put it bluntly: If Real and Barca are classic “over” teams, Atlético is an “under” team. In recent years, Atlético’s style has been shaped by the physical and combative demands of long-term coach Diego Simeone.
FC Valencia – Betting on the bats of Mestalla
Betting Tipps Valencia
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Spiele des Valencia ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 12 von 13 Auswärtsspiele des Valencia ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Valencia hat die letzten 10 von 11 Heimspiele nicht verloren.
- In den letzten 9 von 10 Auswärtsspiele hat Valencia zumindest ein Tore bekommen.
- In den letzten 12 von 14 Spiele hat Valencia zumindest ein Tore bekommen.
With six championship titles, Valencia CF is one of the most successful clubs in Spanish football. Especially during the rule of coaching legend Luis Aragonés, the bats with top players such as Pablo Aimar, Ariel Ortega, Fernando or goalkeeper legend Andoni Zubizarreta stirred up the Primera División. Also on international level, Valencia is always a candidate for a long stay in the tournament and especially the home strength in the Estadio Mestalla, the stadium with the steepest grandstands in the world, is known ever since. Like many other top international clubs, the Blanquinegros are now in foreign hands and belong to Singaporean businessman Peter Lim.
FC Sevilla – Betting on the Europa League specialists
Betting Tipps Sevilla
- In den letzten 11 von 12 Auswärtsspiele des Sevilla ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
- Sevilla hat die letzten 18 von 20 Spiele nicht unentschieden gespielt.
- In den letzten 9 von 10 Auswärtsspiele hat Sevilla zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
- Sevilla hat die letzten 12 von 14 Heimspiele nicht verloren.
- In den letzten 12 von 14 Spiele hat Sevilla zumindest ein Tore geschossen.
The Andalusian club Sevilla FC is a true specialist for the UEFA Europa League. The club won the competition five times, which is an all-time record. Between 2014 and 2016, FC Sevilla won the “smaller” European competition three times in a row and was the first team to do so. Over the years, numerous later world stars played in Seville and laid the foundations for their top careers in Andalusia. This is the case with Ivan Rakitic, Dani Alves, Sergio Ramos, Jesus Navas and Davor Suker. The Austrian striker legend Toni Polster also played for the proud Sevillanos. FC Sevilla was founded in 1890 and is one of the most traditional football clubs in Spain. The Derbi sevillano against Betis Sevilla is something like the Andalusian Clásico.
Athletic Bilbao – Betting on the proud Basques
Betting Tipps Athletic Bilbao
- In den letzten 19 von 20 Heimspiele des Athletic Bilbao ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 10 von 11 Heimspiele hat Athletic Bilbao zumindest ein Tore bekommen.
- Athletic Bilbao hat die letzten 9 von 10 Heimspiele nicht verloren.
- In den letzten 18 von 20 Auswärtsspiele des Athletic Bilbao ist zumindest ein Tor gefallen.
- Athletic Bilbao hat die letzten 15 von 17 Auswärtsspiele nicht gewonnen.
Athletic Club de Bilbao is possibly the most original team in the entire football world. The Basque Club only hires players who come from the Basque region or at least have Basque roots. You can only find foreigners at Bilbao if they have a Basque background, such as French defenders Bixente Lizarazu or Aymeric Laporte. In this respect, Bilbao is a team that “weakens” itself in terms of personnel because you can only fish from a certain pool of players, but at the same time the concept is impressive by the fact that you can play at a high level for so long despite this self-imposed “handicap”. Especially in home games in the newly built San Mames Stadium (the old Bilbao stadium was also called San Mames) the team can annoy any opponent.
Fiery duels in the Primera Divisón
Of course, everything in Spain is overshadowed by the great Clásico between the two football giants from Madrid and Barcelona. But there are also many other explosive games on the Iberian Peninsula, which are extremely interesting for various reasons. We have summarized the most important games in Spain.
Real Madrid – FC Barcelona: Betting on the Clásico
- 10.04.21 Real Madrid Barça
- 24.10.20 Barça Real Madrid
- 01.03.20 Real Madrid Barça
- 18.12.19 Barça Real Madrid
- 02.03.19 Real Madrid Barça
- 28.10.18 Barça Real Madrid
- 06.05.18 Barça Real Madrid
- 23.12.17 Real Madrid Barça
Betting Tipps Real Madrid - Barça
- In den letzten beiden Spiele sind mehr als 2 Tore gefallen.
- Bei den letzten zwei Partien haben beide Teams getroffen
- In den letzten 3 Spiele gab es stets einen Sieger.
It is probably the most heated and prestigious duel in all of football in Europe: when the Clásico comes, the cities Madrid and Barcelona are upside down, because the clash between Real and Barca is also a very hot duel for cultural and socio-political reasons. The rivalry between the two major clubs is complex and since 1966 there have only been seven cases in which a player switched clubs directly from rival A to rival B. These seven kickers were Bernd Schuster, Luis Milla, Nando, Michael Laudrup, Luis Enrique, Luís Figo and Javier Saviola, who was also the last case. The transfer of Luís Figo, who transferred directly to Real Madrid as Barcelona captain, received the most media attention.
The Clásico’s balance sheet currently shows advantages for FC Barcelona, but like so many derbies, Spain’s classics also have their own laws. It is clear that the Clásico is a derby that is good for numerous goals in international comparison. Goalless draws or decisions by lucky punches are rare and also card betting is always a good option at Clásicos. The atmosphere is very intense in both Camp Nou and Santiago Bernabeu and riots between the players are truly not uncommon. In the early days of football, Clásicos were even sometimes played as friendlies. But that time is long gone: the last friendly game actually declared as such was in 1943.
Real Madrid – Atlético Madrid: Betting on the Derbi madrileño
- 07.03.21 Atleti Real Madrid
- 12.12.20 Real Madrid Atleti
- 01.02.20 Real Madrid Atleti
- 28.09.19 Atleti Real Madrid
- 09.02.19 Atleti Real Madrid
- 29.09.18 Real Madrid Atleti
- 08.04.18 Real Madrid Atleti
- 18.11.17 Atleti Real Madrid
Betting Tipps Real Madrid - Atleti
- Die letzte Begegnung ist Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- Im letzten Duell haben beide Teams getroffen
- In den letzten beiden Spiele ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
Like many other derbies, the Madrid Derby or “Derbi madrileño” is a true question of faith. The differences between Real and Atlético lie not only in the successes, but also in the traditional origin of the two club’s supporters. Real Madrid has always been the club of the rich and has its roots in aristocratic circles. Atlético Madrid is a down-to-earth working-class club that unites the poor and also immigrants – from Latin America, for example. In contrast to the Clásico, when the two clubs from the capital meet, there are few goals. On average, Atlético only scores a little more than one goal per game. But Real, too, is rather minimalistic with an average of 1.5 goals per game against the local rivals – especially when you consider that the royal team are otherwise not averse to a goal festival.
Sevilla FC – Betis Sevilla: Betting on the Derbi sevillano
- 14.03.21 Sevilla FC Real Betis
- 02.01.21 Real Betis Sevilla FC
- 11.06.20 Sevilla FC Real Betis
- 10.11.19 Real Betis Sevilla FC
- 13.04.19 Sevilla FC Real Betis
- 02.09.18 Real Betis Sevilla FC
- 12.05.18 Real Betis Sevilla FC
- 06.01.18 Sevilla FC Real Betis
Betting Tipps Sevilla FC - Real Betis
- Das letzte Spiel ist nicht Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- In den letzten 8 Spiele ist mindestens ein Tor gefallen.
- In den letzten 5 von 8 Spiele haben beide Teams getroffen.
When Sevilla FC and Real Betis meet, the Andalusian capital of Seville is split in two. Betis supporters are traditionally workers and ordinary people, mostly based in the south of the city, while Sevilla FC fans tend to come from the upper class. What is particularly striking about the Derbi sevillano is the small number of draws. Nevertheless, it is a duel in which there are hardly any clear wins, but close games are the order of the day. This suggests that both teams still want to force a decisive goal in the Sevilla derby, even if the signs point to one of the rather rare draws. The greatest derby victory of all time was achieved by Sevilla FC in 1942 with a 5-0 win, which is historically not that high.
Athletic Bilbao – Real Sociedad: Betting on the Basque derby
- 07.04.21 Real Sociedad Bilbao
- 31.12.20 Bilbao Real Sociedad
- 09.02.20 Real Sociedad Bilbao
- 30.08.19 Bilbao Real Sociedad
- 02.02.19 Real Sociedad Bilbao
- 05.10.18 Bilbao Real Sociedad
- 28.04.18 Real Sociedad Bilbao
- 16.12.17 Bilbao Real Sociedad
Betting Tipps Bilbao - Real Sociedad
- Die letzte Begegnung ist Unentschieden ausgegangen.
- Im letzten Duell haben beide Teams getroffen
- Im letzten Spiel ist mehr als ein Tor gefallen.
The Basque derby, also known as the “AP-8 Derby” due to the name of the highway that connects the two cities of Bilbao and San Sebastían, is a duel that has been held since 1909 and is something for real football purists. The encounter of the proud Basques is a kind of derby that you rarely see in the world, because the fans of the two sides are not hostile, they even spend the derby days with each other and like to compete with each other in terms of traditions – even with traditional Basque chants and dances on the streets. Since Athletic Bilbao has always only included Basque players or at least those with Basque roots in its squad and Real Sociedad also relies heavily on their own youngsters, these duels are generally strongly Basque and promote the identification of the two sides with their province. Since the direct duels are mostly close games, live betting on the Euskal Derbia is always very tempting.
Athletic Bilbao – Real Madrid: Betting on El Viejo Clásico
- 16.05.21 Bilbao Real Madrid
- 15.12.20 Real Madrid Bilbao
- 05.07.20 Bilbao Real Madrid
- 22.12.19 Real Madrid Bilbao
- 21.04.19 Real Madrid Bilbao
- 15.09.18 Bilbao Real Madrid
- 18.04.18 Real Madrid Bilbao
- 02.12.17 Bilbao Real Madrid
Betting Tipps Bilbao - Real Madrid
- In den letzten 3 Spiele gab es stets einen Sieger.
- In den letzten 3 Spiele ist mindestens ein Tor gefallen.
- Die letzten 4 von 8 Spiele endeten Unentschieden.
In 1903 Athletic Bilbao and Real Madrid met for the first time. Until 2011, the duel between these two teams was the most played game in Spain. Then it was replaced by the original Clásico due to a European Cup duel between Real and Barca. The game therefore bears the name El Viejo Clásico, meaning “the old classic” or El Otro Clásico, meaning “the other classic”. Especially in times of the Franco dictatorship, this game naturally had a particularly heated political background. Not surprisingly, Real Madrid is quite clearly ahead in the overall balance of the game, but the historical goal average of these two teams is more exciting: When the Basque and the Royals meet, an average of 3.30 goals per game is scored, which is very high over such a long period.
FC Barcelona – Espanyol Barcelona: Betting on the Derbi Barceloní
The Derbi Barceloní, as it is called in Catalan, is a very uneven derby compared to many other city duels. Barcelona, the proud Catalan club, is the much more successful club than the “Spanish loyal” Espanyol Barcelona. Historically, FC Barcelona won almost 60% of all duels with the city rival and scored almost exactly two goals per derby on average. This obvious dominance of the Blaugrana, of course, makes the derby less explosive and numerous other games in La Liga have a much more heated character than the city duel of Barcelona.
More information about the Spanish La Liga
Here you can find more information about the Spanish La Liga, the Primera División. This information can not only be interesting for betting fans, but also those who are into sports betting get more tips here.
Stadiums in La Liga
Naturally, you can also find the largest stadiums at the largest clubs in Spain:
- Camp Nou, home of FC Barcelona, is currently the largest stadium in the country with over 99,000 seats
- Followed by Santiago Bernabeu with just under 81,000
- And the new Wanda Metropolitano from Atlético Madrid with 68,000 seats.
- The next larger stadiums are in Seville, Valencia and Bilbao, but La Liga also has numerous small stadiums, which due to their age and construction can be very heated although smaller venues. The smallest La Liga stadium in recent years is in Eibar and can only accommodate just under 7,000 spectators.
The most successful clubs
The record champions of the Primera División or La Liga is, with a fairly large gap from archrival Barcelona, Real Madrid. In total, only nine teams in the history of Spanish football celebrated a championship title, and just six clubs managed to do so at least twice.
- Real Madrid (34)
- FC Barcelona (26)
- Atlético Madrid (10)
- Athletic Bilbao (8)
- FC Valencia (6)
- Real Sociedad (2)
- Deportivo La Coruña (1)
- FC Sevilla
- Betis Sevilla
Current balance of power
The Spanish championship has been a duel between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona for a very long time, which are practically without exception considered to be favorites by means of odds for winning the championship title before the season. Almost every year another challenger comes in and plays at the top for some time, but usually fails in the end due to the superiority of the two world clubs. Recently, this has mainly been Atlético Madrid, but teams such as Sevilla, Valencia and Villarreal can also play for the top spots every few years. Smaller clubs also occasionally get a taste of the feeling in higher regions of the table, but can practically never stay in the top ranks permanently.
Record players of La Liga
The undisputed record player in the Primera División is goalkeeper legend Andoni Zubizarreta, who played most games for FC Barcelona but also for Athletic Bilbao and Valencia CF. The keeper made 622 appearances in Spain’s top division and ended his career at the age of 37. Real Madrid legend Raúl Gonzalez (550) and Valladolid veteran Eusebio (543) follow. A total of nine players played more than 500 games. With Joaquín, veteran of Betis Sevilla, a player who is still active is fifth on the all-time list. The midfielder could move up to second place in the coming months and years if he continues his career for some time.
Top goal scorers of La Liga
Barcelona star Lionel Messi is the all-time top scorer of the Primera División – and will probably never be overtaken. As of April 2020, Messi, who has been dribbling through La Liga since 2004, scored over 430 goals. Second is his eternal competitor and former Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo with 311 goals. However, the Portuguese has a better goal scoring rate per game. Bilbao legend Zarra follows in third place, followed by Real Madrid’s Mexican top scorer Hugo Sánchez and his direct successor Raúl. On the other places practically only players follow who had their best phase between 1945 and 1980.